Our Experience Buying Our First Home using VA

Below, you’ll find many “dairy entries” describing our process of buying our very first home and using the VA home loan. Hopefully this will help any service members, vets, or their spouses!

July 25: Yesterday, we officially got pre-approved for the VA VHDA home loan! VHDA means first-time buyer (because that’s what we are!). The minimum credit score for this loan (as well as the standard VA loan) is a 620. If you read my post about his credit score experience, you know we worked long and hard to get here! My score was far past that, but because it’s VA, only his mattered. My score will only be used as a small push. It will not be factored into any rates or payments. The interest rate our lender gave us was 3.8%, which is pretty good. Tomorrow, we are officially going house hunting with our awesome Realtor.

July 26: Well, that was quick. Around 7pm tonight, we officially signed an offer on a home. In our area, there isn’t much to choose from. In the city and neighborhood we wanted to be in, most homes are owned by 80-year-olds–and they have the decor, walls, and bathrooms of an 80-year-old. Today, we found the rare gem that was owned by an 80-year-old with great test and reno skills. We knew we had to jump on it! Did I mention it’s 100 yards from the doors of my work? The seller has until 8pm tomorrow to answer our offer. Praying like nobody’s business! Also, today, we started squaring away the financial side of things–the side I know nothing about. I’m going to do a separate post on this. I had no idea what money we’d have to have going into this, and I didn’t find much luck on-line, so hopefully that post will help. Our set closing date, if approved by the seller, is August 27th. In other words, we’ll be moving in the week before the school year starts. Ouch.

July 27: The seller responded with a (crazy) counter-offer today. We asked full listing-price, closing costs, home warranty, and the fridge, washer, and dryer. Considering the housing market sucks and no one asks full price anymore, I figured that would be an easy yes. They came back with full asking price, less than half the closing costs, warranty, fridge, washer, dryer, and the real kicker: they want to stay in the house a month after closing without paying any rent to us. I’m laughing. Not really. I’m irritated. We countered back with our original offer, but asked $1,500 less in closing costs than originally and said they could stay for 7-10 days after closing–which still pisses me off–but not enough to let a house go. Heard back from our realtor and she said they want overnight to think about it. Ugh. We decided that if they come back with anything crazy again, we’re out.

August 1: Yesterday, the sellers officially signed the contract, so we’re all locked in and official. We ended up with a better deal than where we I left off. We upped the asking price by $1,500 and asked for that $1,500 in closing costs, and we finally won with an accepted offer. They even said they wouldn’t need to stay there anymore. Thankfully $1,500 only will cost us one fast food meal a month. Doable! Also yesterday, we signed FIFTY SEVEN pieces of paper with our loan officer, Chris Norwood of TowneBank Mortgage. He is freakin’ fantastic! He has jumped through so many hoops for us, and I’ve felt he’s actually invested in us and our home. We cut his company a $430 check to cover the appraisal fee and the credit report fee. So now, it’s just a waiting game. Waiting on (1) the lender appraisal, (2) the VA appraisal, (3) the home inspection on August 5th, and (4) the final loan approval. I’m so nervous about all of this. If things go wrong, this is where it’s going to happen. So I’m just praying that this is the right time and God has great plans for us and this house! If the house doesn’t appraise, we’d either have to (a) bring the difference in cash–yeah, no, (b) drop the asking price and hope the seller agrees, or (c) walk away. So while B is ideal, it’s probably the least plausible. And of course it’s scary having someone look at all of your finances and deciding whether you’re worthy of their money. Knowing they could knit-pick at one little thing and that could decide our entire future–it’s nauseating, actually. As the old Army motto goes,lets Hurry Up and Wait!

August 6: We had our home inspection yesterday. I was so nervous leading up to the 1 P.M. appointment time that I was sure I was going to hurl. I didn’t hurl. The home inspection went about as well as home inspections can. Mostly small things like “That vent under the house needs to be open in the summer” or “Those shingles need to be nailed down more” or “This valve is missing the knob.”  The homeowner is a retired Army officer turned DOD Civilian, so you can imagine that he kept up the house. Now we’re in the position where we have to decide what to ask them to fix or what to take on ourselves. These homeowners (while probably loaded due to above careers) are nearing 80, the wife has dementia, and he’s taking her to Florida to be with their children. It’s so hard for me to ask them to fix this stuff because I know, for them, it requires calling people in and paying them. Clearly they aren’t getting on a roof anytime soon. Nothing is urgent, and we’re leaning towards not asking them to fix anything. We’re young and we have time and the little bit of money it will cost to fix the minor things. But I reckon we’ll talk to our realtor and see what she thinks before we make any decisions. We have until the 10th to decide. Now it’s waiting on appraisals and the loan. The scariest parts.

August 11: We decided not to take any action on home inspection items. We got an email from the selling agent saying it was such a blessing because the couple was under so much stress. It really confirmed our decision. I also found in that email that the owners are planning on being out by the end of this week. Seeing as our current closing day is slam in the middle of my first week back to school, I just emailed our lender to see if it was possible that we close even earlier. Probably not, but it’s worth a shot to avoid the stress of school starting and moving! Crossing my fingers we can get into the house early, even if by just a few days. UPDATE: The lender said it all comes down to the appraisal; after that, things move pretty quickly. The appraisal is being done tomorrow, so [prayer hands], we may be able to get in this house a little early!

August 20: There’s a dead period after the home inspection that’s enough to drive Hilary Clinton nuts. We close in a week, and we still haven’t heard a word on our appraisal or our loan. Our realtor emailed our loan officer, but he hadn’t received the appraisal info (the appraisal was done exactly a week ago). I’m literally going crazy. Here I am packing up our entire house, and the two biggest things that could totally ruin our home-buying haven’t been cleared yet. It’s super terrifying to think about. So I’m just trying to have faith that if this is our house, I have nothing to worry about.

September 4:
Well, we have been in our new house for one week. We closed on August 29th (a Friday). Closing took thirty minutes. We cleaned and painted Fri/Sat, and moved in Sat evening and Sunday. Unpacked on Monday. Pure chaos seeing as the school year started on Tuesday. I have so much painting to do still, but I did get painted the ugly bright red kitchen and dining room, as well as M’s room. Obviously can’t paint that one during baby naps!! Look out for lots of house project posts.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s